The Grade 12 examination conducted by the ECZ (Examination Council of Zambia) requires good knowledge of the language, science (physics, chemistry and biology) and maths to score high marks. Reading, writing and calculating are the basic skills needed for examinations. As we all know, performing well in Grade 12 exams, especially, is essential to take the next big step – admission to a good college, which in turn will see you through a successful career.
Here are five tips for ECZ Grade 12 exams that can make a difference in one of the most crucial exams you will face.
1. Follow a timetable
Time management is key to preparing well for exams and one of the most essential five tips for ECZ Grade 12 exams.
- Chalk out a feasible study schedule and stick to it.
- Spending quality time on the study is essential rather than studying in fits and starts for long hours. This will tire you out and will bear no fruit.
- Allocate more time for subjects you need to work on more than others.
- Study all subjects every day, and set a deadline for learning each.
Combine time with study space for optimum results.
- Create a study space; size doesn’t matter; that is organised and inspiring.
- Let there be adequate light so that there is no strain on the eye.
- Let all the required study materials be stocked in the places they belong so that you don’t waste time searching for misplaced items.
- Put up a wall calendar and a wall clock that can contribute little to managing your time efficiently.
- Let your chair and desk be positioned so that it supports your back and ensures a pleasant and productive experience.
2. Planning for Examination Day
You can easily adapt and practice some golden yet straightforward rules to score better in exams.
- The golden rule is to not cram all details the night before the exam. Read through your notes rather than reading your textbook.
- Steer clear of the stressful environments and negative or nervous people. Reach the exam venue early, giving you the time to organise your thoughts and be clear in your mind.
- An important suggestion is to breathe well – draw long and calm breaths. You will be amazed to realise how relaxed you feel.
- Take efforts to stay healthy.
- Regular exercise is vital, yet during exams, a workout does wonder to
3. Solution Lies in Previous Years’ Question Papers and Revision
Studying smart as much as hard is essential to do well in exams.
- A thoughtful way to study for exams is solving previous years’ question papers, which will help you identify problem areas. This exercise gives you a chance to go back to your textbooks or teacher or peer to clarify concepts and find answers.
- Previous years’ question papers mirror essential segments of the textbooks. You can thus focus on critical portions of the syllabus and skim through others for knowledge.
- Solving previous years’ question papers gives you the confidence to face the forthcoming exam as they provide a clear idea about what to expect.
- Familiarising yourself with the questions will help you acquire the ‘pattern’, ‘shape’ or ‘form’ that questions will take in the exam you are facing. Therefore, you can be prepared for similar questions that may otherwise remain a puzzle.
Revise to remember, retain and retrieve
ECZ Grade 12 Exams revision helps commit to memory facts, concepts, and numbers. It raises your confidence levels, and the thoroughness saves time while writing out the answers to the exam paper.
Leading academics focus on revision as a strategy to score high in exams. Texila Academy’s ECZ Grade 12 Exams Topic Wise Revision and ECZ Grade 12 Exams Full Revision to students preparing to sit ECZ Grade 12 Exams.
This platform offers smart and reliable revision methods to perform well in the Grade 12 exam. Texila’s efficient tutors are its biggest strength. Chosen meticulously, they train the students through ECZ Grade 12 Exams Topic Wise Revision and ECZ Grade 12 Exams Full Revision.
4. ‘Teach to learn.’
The learning benefits of teaching are immense, says research. The ‘teacher’ tries hard to recollect information and details to present them to the ‘student’. Therefore, by explaining answers and concepts to someone else, you get clarity on the ideas you are learning. ‘Teaching’ the ‘learning audience’ will help you gain a deeper understanding of the subject and retain what you learnt, and even remember it for a long time.
5. Feeding the Brain
Eating sensibly can help in performing better in exams.
- Eating light meals before exams are highly recommended. Large meals and sugar/carb-rich food can make you sluggish as breaking them down and digesting them requires energy and time.
- Also, protein-rich food gives energy against carbs that can make you sleepy and slow you down. Before the exam, have a ‘power’ breakfast that provides you energy and helps you stay alert.
- Food to avoid during exams is high in sugar and carbs, which can make you feel heavy and sleepy. Steer clear of cookies, cakes, muffins, chocolates, desserts, and sweets as they are brain-blocking items high in refined sugar and require additional time and energy to digest/ Rice or potatoes can also be limited.
- Instead, consume ‘brain-boosting’ food. Protein-rich foods such as eggs, nuts, yoghurt, cottage cheese, almonds, walnuts, raisins, oranges, and bananas can increase your levels of alertness.
- A diet rich in omega-3 fats helps in improving your memory and concentration and calms your nerves. Omega-3 fats are found in oily fish like salmon, tuna, flax, chia, melon seeds and sunflower.
- Drinking plenty of water before and during your exam is essential.
- Consuming outside food is a big ‘no’ until the exams are over, as junk and oily food slow down your body.
Sleep Your Way to Better Grades
A study says during sleep, the brain ‘recharges’ and ‘reorganises’ itself and, in the process, improves memory and reduces mental tiredness.
- Get a good night’s sleep – at least six hours to stay fresh and focused on the exam day.
- Good sleep routines help students perform better during exams as their attention span increases and boost their learning capabilities and memory.
If these Five Tips for ECZ Grade 12 Exams are followed, you will experience an amazing transformation that will build your confidence, knowledge and strength.